Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Expanding My Culinary Horizons- Day 1

So today is the first day of my personal to challenge to cook something that I have never made before everyday this week. Tonight’s menu was Grilled Greek Chicken Kebabs with Warm Pita Bread and Homemade Tzatiki Sauce. However, the weather thwarted my plans to grill and my indoor grill is still currently in boxes, so I had to improvise. I cooked the meat and vegetables in a frying pan and served wrapped in the pita with feta and the tzatiki. I was skeptical, but oh my goodness, was it ever yummy! It tasted just like the meal I got at a Greek restaurant once. The recipe is from Everyday Food, Fresh Flavor Fast. I made a few small changes that I will put in parentheses.

Grilled Greek Chicken Kebabs

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 zucchini, halved lenthwise and cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces (the store didn't have zucchini so I used cherry tomatoes instead
½ small red onion, quartered lengthwise, layers seperated
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
3 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1)
In a resalable plastic bag, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, olive oil, oregano and 2 Tbsp vinegar; season with ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Marinate at room temperature 30 mins, or refrigerate up to overnight.
2) Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grill. Onto each skewer, thread 3 pieces of chicken with zucchini and onion. Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 12-14 mins.

The recipe for homemade Tzatiki sauce is from Kayln's Kitchen. I must say, fresh tzatiki sauce is sooooo much better than store bought and I was suprised how easy it was to make!
For dessert we had Mexican Ice Cream Sundaes with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce.....and yes, it was as yummy as it sounds. The cinnamon in the chocolate sauce took it to a completely different level! The only thing that I would do different is use a sweeter chocolate. I used semi sweet and it was still a little too bitter for my tastes. But if you like strong chocolate you will love this! The recipe is from the same cookbook.

Mexican Ice Cream Sundaes with Cinnamon-Chocolate Sauce

¾ C sweetened flaked coconut
2/3 cup heavy cream
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 ½ pints dulce de leche ice cream (I couldn’t find the ice cream so I used caramel instead)
¼ C roasted unsalted peanuts.

1)
Preheat oven to 350F. Spread coconut evenly on a rimmed baking sheet; toast, tossing occasionally, until browned and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Toasted coconut can be covered and stored at room temperature up to 1 day
2) In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring cream to a boil; remove from heat. Add chocolate, cinnamon, and salt. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk until chocolate is melted and mixture is shiny. (Chocolate sauce can be cooled completely, then covered and refrigerated up to 2 days; before serving, reheat over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave)
3) Scoop ice cream into bowls, top with warm chocolate sauce, peanuts and toasted coconut, dividing evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment