Friday, May 7, 2010

Expanding My Culinary Horizons-Day 5 & 6

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the rest of my personal cooking challenge. I am just finally catching up after a week long holiday! So here we go.......

On Day 5 I tried to recreate a dish that my husband had in a restaurant once, Saskatoon Berry Stuffed Pork Loin. I must say it turned out even better than I had expected! I don't usually like to eat pork, but I definitely had seconds that night. I served it with steamed vegetables and baked potatoes.

On Day 6 I made a Beef Taco Bake, taken from my Campbell's Classic Recipes cookbook. I liked this casserole enough, I would definitely make it again however I would season the beef this time with some taco spice.

Saskatoon Berry Stuffed Pork Loin

1/2 C Saskatoon Berries
1/2 block cream cheese, softened
1 medium fresh pork loin roast

1) Cut the pork loin about 80% of the way through and spread open like a book
2) Combine berries and cream cheese
3) Drop the cream cheese mixture onto the pork roast
4) Close the roast back up and tie up with kitchen twine
5) Season the roast to your taste ( I just used salt and pepper)
6) Cook until done in a 350 degree F oven


Beef Taco Bake

1 pound ground beef
1 can tomato soup
1 cup chunky salsa
1/2 cup milk
6 flour tortillas or 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1) Cook the beef in a skillet over medium high heat until the beef is well browned, stirring frequently to break up meat. Pour off any fat.
2) Stir the soup, salsa, milk, tortillas and 1/2 cup of the cheese unto the skillet. Spoon into a 12 X 8 shallow baking dish. Cover the dish with foil.
3) Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.


So thus concludes my personal challenge to try a new dish everyday for a week. I really liked the variety, but I must admit I missed my old favourites. But I will definitely be adding most of these recipes into my meal plan rotation.

I would also like to wish everyone else who were inspired to do their own "new dish" challenge good luck! I hope that you enjoy all the new food as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. For the saskatoon berries pork...I don't think we have saskatoon berries here in Ontario...can you think of a substitute that would be good?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete