Monday, October 26, 2009

The Couch Saga

Today was day two of the great basement cleanup. Today was also the day when I realized that there was twice as much work down there are I thought there was. I had decided I wanted to move the couch from the basement into the living room to provide more seating. However, once I got the couch upstairs I found out that it was very musty smelling. So I was off to google the ways to get that smell out. The first thing I tried was febreeze, pfft.....what a waste of time, it didn't even touch the smell. Then I seen on the internet that people have had success with a vinegar and water mixture, so I sprayed it on and went off to bed to let the solution do it's magic. I woke up this morning and soon discovered that my couch (along with my kitchen) now smelled like musty vinegar! So it was off to walmart to see what cleaning products it could offer. I got quite the funny look from the cashier while she was ringing up my purchase of 3 cans of Lysol at 9 am! So Hubby and I hauled the old bugger outside and I gave that old couch a dousing in Lysol then let it sit outside all day to air out. The couch is now sitting in the living room and I would measure the success of my treatment at about 90%, it still has a little musty smell if you were to lay your nose right on the fabric and take a big whiff, but it does not give off an obvious scent anymore. Later this week when I get my Norwex order, I am looking forward to using the odour eliminator on it...I hear it works miracles!

Now on to getting rid of the musty smell in the basement. Tonight I have plotted my plan of attack and tomorrow I will wage a unholy war on mildew! I have assembled my arsenal of bleach, lysol, baking powder and carpet cleaner all topped off with my newly purchased calcium carbonate dehumidifier pouch. Of course, since I am a horrible procrasinator, most of this will probably not get done and I will spend my day watching Judge Judy and going shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment