Monday, December 7, 2009

Breakfasty Goodness

So I actually paid the $10.00 for one of those Taste of Home recipe magazines that they sell in the grocery store checkout line. One recipe caught my eye so I tried it the other day when I had overnight guests. It turned out delish! I really liked that it could be made the night before, it saved me so much time in the morning and my guests had a yummy breakfast that they thought I slaved over! It would be a great dish for Christmas morning.

French Toast Casserole

1 loaf French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes (approx 10 cups)
8 Eggs
3 cups Milk
4 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Topping:
2 tablespoons Butter or Margarine
3 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons ground Cinnamon

Place bread cubes in a greased 13X9 baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt (if desired). Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle mixture over the top.

Cover and bake at 350 or 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 Min's. Serve with maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. *drool* that sounds amazing. I was thinking of doing a nice big Christmas breakfast but have no idea what to make, so I'm going to keep this recipe in mind.

    ReplyDelete